Wednesday, September 3, 2014

My first week of college

Last week was my first week of college. I got to start off the week with celebrating my ten year anniversary of being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I realized that so much has happened in those ten years. I learned about diabetes and how I am in control of it. I switched from shots to insulin pump after 2 years of being diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and that decision has really benefitted me. Now, I am on my own making decisions for myself every second. What's interesting is my blood sugars have actually improved being in college. I realize that I take full responsibility for my actions so I want to make sure I make healthy choices every day. No one is looking out for my diabetes management except myself so I take my diabetes care very seriously in college. One tip I can give to diabetics in college is 1.) choose a dorm that has a central location 2.) do not have back-to-back classes. My dorm has a central location which is nice so I don't have to walk very far to my classes and I have less of a chance that my blood sugar will go low. I scheduled my classes with at least an hour break in between. This is helpful so if I am having blood sugar problems, I have the opportunity to correct it before my next class. I am having so much fun at the University of Illinois but I cannot wait to come back home for some ADA events later in the month.

This is from my first day on the Quad at the University of Illinois