Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Graduation Thoughts

When I graduated last Saturday, many thoughts and memories were swirling through my head. Mostly, I was thinking about what my parents have done for me the past eighteen years. I remember they were with me when I was taken to the hospital to be diagnosed with diabetes. I remember how they stayed the night with me and slept on uncomfortable arm chairs. Of course, my parents were upset and afraid when I was diagnosed with diabetes, but they never showed these emotions to me. They were strong and told me that everything would be okay. They encouraged me to give myself my first self-administered insulin injection (but they did not pressure me). My parents accompanied me when I attended diabetes education classes. They helped me learn how to count carbs, live a normal life with diabetes, and most importantly, they taught me the tools to be independent with diabetes. I am grateful for what they have done for me. I know I will still be seeking their advice when I am away at college. Thanks Mom and Dad!