Saturday, May 17, 2014

The Silver-Linings of Diabetes

As I talked about in a previous blog post, a boy in my grade was diagnosed with diabetes recently. We went to middle school and high school together, but I did not know him well. At prom, he came up to me in a panic. He asked me if I had any sort of glucose with me. Unfortunately, I used the last of my glucose tablets while we were taking prom pictures. So, I helped him find the nearest source of sugar which was a glass of coke at the refreshment table. After that experience, I new I had gained a new friend. Now when I see him in the hallways, he usually says hi to me or starts up a conversation. We share our experiences with different types of glucose gels, tabs, and drinks. Even though sometimes it is not fun having diabetes, at least I was able to make a new friend out of it. Speaking of making new friends, it is important for kids to meet others their age that have diabetes. A great way to do this is through the ADA summer camps. Fortunately, there is still space at Camp Can Do and Camp Crossroads. Camp Can Do is August 4th through August 8th at the Palos Park Recreation Center. Camp Crossroads is held at the UIC Recreation Center in Chicago from July 7th to July 11th. These camps are offered for children ages 4-9 and recently diagnosed 10 year olds. You can email ChicagoCamps@diabetes.org or visit the website at www.diabetes.org/camps for more information.