Friday, May 2, 2014

Diabetes Awareness Day Springfield Trip

Yesterday, I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Springfield for Diabetes Awareness Day as part of the Illinois Diabetes Policy Coalition. My role was to advocate for bills that benefit type 1 and type 2 diabetics. I met Representative Jeanne Ives who was very nice and even gave me a tour of the House floor.

I also met Mike Tryon who was the founder of the Illinois Legislative Diabetes Caucus. Tuesday evening, the Illinois Legislative Diabetes Caucus held a bowling fundraiser and raised over $10,000 for diabetes research.

Another important person I met on my trip was Senator Mike Connolly.

All of the Representatives and Senators I talked to were very enthusiastic about helping the cause and it did not take much convincing for them to be on board with voting for the bills we wanted to pass.I am so glad I could tell my story in order to benefit others and I recommend this experience to anyone who wants to make a difference.