Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Back-to-school tips



School is just around the corner. Stress from homework, tests, friends, and activities can make diabetes management difficult. Here are some of my tips to make sure diabetes does not get in the way of an awesome school year:

  • Wear a medical ID bracelet 
By wearing a medical ID bracelet, a child will be easily recognized that he or she has type 1 diabetes. Teachers, nurses, and peers can keep an eye out if he or she is having blood sugar problems.

  • Tell teachers and create an emergency kit 
This is similar to my first tip. If teachers know that a child has diabetes, they can easily step in and help if there ever is a problem. Creating a diabetic first-aid kit that the teachers can carry filed with juice boxes, glucose tabs, and even an extra blood glucose tester will prevent emergencies.

  • Test,test,test 
This tip may be the hardest to do. With a crazy school schedule, it may be hard to find time to test blood glucose levels. What I would always do is set a few times during the day that I would remember to test. Last year, I would test after PE (so second or third period), before lunch, before I go home (eighth period). That way, I would be able to enjoy my day but also have control over my diabetes.

  • If possible, try to request PE first period and lunch during the first lunch period 
Of course, every child is different but what would help manage my blood sugar levels is having PE first period and lunch fourth period. I requested PE for first period because I would eat breakfast right before I left for school so it was easier figuring out my insulin since I would give myself half the amount of insulin I would regularly take because I had my physical activity right away, I also liked having lunch fourth period because it would prevent low blood sugars since I would be eating lunch not too long after PE.

  • Carry MANY snacks 
In my lunch bag, I would always have at least two extra snacks, just in case. My goal was never to go to the nurse's office because I did not want to miss class. In elementary school, I had to go to the nurse's office since I was diagnosed at the age of eight and I was not fully adjusted yet. In middle school, my nurse did not give me the independence that I wanted but I knew I was capable of doing everything myself. In high school, I rarely went down to the nurse's office since I did not want to miss any class. If I did have a low blood sugar, I ate the glucose gel or tablets I had with me and ate a snack. Glucose gel works extremely quickly so my blood sugar was not low for too long. Having snacks periodically throughout the day helped steady my blood sugar levels also.


These are my tips for a school-setting. In the next few days, I will publish my next post which is about diabetes management with sports and activities.

In the meantime, if you have any more questions about managing diabetes at school, check out the Back 2 School bash this Saturday from 1:00-4:00 at Busse Woods in Rolling Meadows, Illinois. There will be raffles, face painting, games, and a Safe at School panel to answer diabetes-related questions. For more info check out http://bit.ly/adaback2schoolbash2014