Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Representing type 1 diabetes at Galaxy International Pageant

Last week, I represented Illinois at the Galaxy International Pageant. My platform was Diabetes Awareness and Education which I told the judges about in interview. It was definitely a challenge keeping my blood sugars under control during a week full of rehearsals and activities. The one thing that helped my blood sugars stay on track was keeping consistent meal times. I always made sure to eat three meals with snacks in between. I proudly wore my pump during our pool-side photoshoot #showmeyourpump. My goal that I made before the pageant was to make the top 5. I knew this would be a tough goal since this was an extremely competitive pageant. When the top 5 was announced, I was so excited to hear my name. I placed as 4th runner-up! Not only did I represent Illinois, but I represented all diabetics. I will continue to spread diabetes awareness during the rest of my year as Miss Teen Illinois Galaxy and as the Northern Illinois Advocate for the American Diabetes Association. Check out my PSA at this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7w0haVXGcI.


Fun Fashion competition

Formal wear competition

Personal interview competition 
The exciting moment...making the top 5