Monday, September 29, 2014

Sick days



For the past two weeks, I have been sick twice. I was at first struggling with a fever and a bad cough. A week later, I had a fever again and developed a sinus infection. Sick days with diabetes are always tough. I have a few tips on what to do during a sick day:

~Drink plenty of fluids

This is always important on a regular day, but it is even more important on sick days. Being hydrated will help you feel better and become stronger. I recommend drinking water, tea, and any other sugar-free drinks if your blood sugar levels are running on the higher side. If your blood sugar levels are running low and you feel too sick to eat, drink regular ginger-ale.

~Test blood sugar levels and keytones frequently
You don't want to feel even worse, so make sure to test blood sugar levels and keytones frequently. When I had a fever the first time, I was starting to feel sick to my stomach and I thought I had the flu. I tested my blood sugar, and it turned out my blood sugar was 350. By testing my blood sugar, I was able to make myself feel better in some way.

~Relax and sleep

Being a full-time student, it is hard to find extra time to relax. But, it is important to remember that your health always comes first. I was afraid to miss two classes but I knew that I needed to rest and wait for my fever to decrease before I go back to class.



On a positive note, check out my article about Miss Idaho Sierra Sandison that I wrote for the 2014 October issue of Diabetes Forecast at http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2014/10-oct/miss-idaho-show-me-your.html and in print. It was such a joy having been blessed this opportunity. I am glad I had the opportunity to interview one of my role models in the pageant and diabetic community. I hope to inspire others just like she has.